Search This Blog

Monday, January 21, 2013

When your cake crumbles, make cake balls! Or try to make cake balls...

I had a baking failure Saturday that entailed overflow, fire, and in the end, crumbly cake.  My applesauce cake would not hold together to freeze and my dreams of easy family breakfasts crumbled with it.  Do I throw it out?  Heck no!  Do I force my kids to eat 2 pans of applesauce cake before it goes bad?  No way?  I make balls - cake balls, that is.  Or at least I tried.  Let me preface this by saying I have never made cake balls - these are a relatively new confection in my view and seemed like an unnecessary step in the evolution of cake.  But, my Dutch ancestors reminded me that in this case, cake balls might just be the trick to saving those 2 pans of applesauce cake that I rescued from the fire.  So, being an experimental cook, I didn't bother with instructions.  Who does that?  Instead, I mushed my cake up, made a cream cheese icing (1 tub Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese, 4 Tbsp. Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk, and 6 Tbsp. agave nectar), mixed it all up and rolled into balls.  Those, I froze overnight.  This morning, I burned 2 bags of Ghirardelli White Chocolate Chips by trying to melt them in the microwave.  Glad I bought 4...The remaining 2 bags went into the double boiler, as my husband suggested in the first place, along with a little almond milk.  I've heard that dipping is the preferred method for coating cake balls.  But, really, I had a LOT...who has time to dip?  So, I spooned, that made a mess, I dipped, that took too long and still made a mess, and ultimately, I grouped together a pile and poured the chocolate on top.  I can't say each little ball got evenly coated.  I can't even say each little ball got coated at all.  What I can say is that I have a nasty cold and I'm over it.   This will likely be my last foray into cake balldom but at least I can say I tried...kind of.

The smushing

Cream cheese frosting ingredients

Chips pre-burning

Awww, happy in the proper double boiler

Naked balls!  Sorry, couldn't resist...

Dipped

And poured.

And done.

No comments:

Post a Comment