Search This Blog

Friday, October 8, 2010

Pizza!

This is just food I will not live without. Friday nights, you will find me making homemade pizza and knocking back a Red Bridge gluten free beer or two. It's kind of a pain but man, is it GOOD!

Here's how it goes:

Bob's Red Mill Pizza Crust: I get this through a subscription service from amazon.com. It's about $2.50/pkg delivered to my door every month - yummy and easy!

Prepare crust as directed, spread evenly with wet hands on a parchment lined baking sheet, and bake 10 mins at 425. Top with your favorite sauce, cheese, and toppings - bake 8-10 mins at 425.

Some words about cheese: I can't eat cow cheese - I have an asthma attack, it's bad news. My oldest son can't deal with cow's milk, he gets kooky. Neither of us, however, is bothered by goat or sheep cheese. Yes, there is casein in those cheeses. However, it's a shorter chain form that does not break down to an opioid peptide. So, while it's not casein free, it doesn't get anyone in my family like cow cheese does. So, give it a try and see how it goes for your family. If you absolutely CAN'T deal with animal cheese, you can try Daiya. I didn't hate it but my kids did.

With all that said, I get my sheep cheese cheaply at Phonecia on Westheimer. They have lots of cool stuff there and it's definitely worth checking it out. I like Haloumi and Romano Pecorino cheeses best for my pizza. You can also get goat and/or sheep feta there at a great price. Bear in mind, US produced feta comes from cow's milk, not goat's milk.

Enjoy a weekly tradition at your house. Long live Pizza Night!!

No comments:

Post a Comment