Search This Blog

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Some Random Advice for Halloween

Last year, I posted a big rant about Halloween on Katy Autism Support's board. This year, I'm determined to make better choices. Here's what I've learned after lots of Halloweens' with a sensory sensitive kid:

Costume: Costumes need to fit correctly, not touch ankles, not be too tight around the collar, and not involve anything that goes on the head. So, this year - Lambert asked to be Jengo Fett and yep, the costume comes with a mask. I'm not a crafty sewing kind of Mom so I get our costumes at Party City - what can I say? Anyway, he is currently swearing up and down that he will wear that mask but I'm going to be prepared this year. This year, I will be armed with face paint...just in case. In Lambert's world, face paint is absolutely acceptable while headwear is a little shady :) Since I never know what kind of day it might be, I will make sure he's actually completely costumed, as opposed to running around in a random jumpsuit and crocs.

Candy: Now, I'll just start off by saying that I am a sanity loving woman. As such, I never, EVER give my kids anything that is artificially colored or flavored. Why? Because my children's sanity dissolves within minutes of consumption and, therefore, mine within the hour. So, it's considered an "allergy" at my house and that's how it's going to stay. Mix that in with a gluten intolerance and pretty much any trick or treat candy is out the window. Do we skip that time honored tradition of taking candy from strangers? Heck no! We trick or treat until are so overstimulated we're dueling strangers with our costume weaponry. However, when we get home, the kids trade in unacceptable treats for a big old bag of goodies I ordered from www.naturalcandystore.com. Sanity at the mere price of $25/kid - a bargain in my book.

Trick or Treating: Remember when I mentioned that whole dueling thing? Um...not a joke. I fact, last year, Lambert whacked an unknown man in the package (with his sword...) while I was admiring his darling baby dressed as a ladybug. So, what does this mean? Go EARLY! Be one of the first trick or treaters on the scene to avoid the crowds. Get kids back before the street is totally mobbed, put them in front of a movie and station a parent outside with candy for the rest of the crowd. Therefore, you can avoid all that noisy doorbell/shouting stuff being heard inside. When kids are in bed, sit outside together and enjoy the evening. And, for God's sake, keep the swords away from the kid with Autism! :)

I hope all these tips helps us all have a happy and indulgent Halloween. Stay safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment