Search This Blog

Friday, December 23, 2011

New Resources for Eating Local

Throughout this process, I've been learning more about what goes into our food in addition to how to cook it. I've read a couple of books lately that have inspired me to change not only what I eat but how I get what I eat. These titles are: "The Omnivore's Dilemma" and "Coming Home to Eat". In response, I've been searching for local sources of my food - I want to know the people who bring it to my table. I've been privileged to locate a local co-op where I was able to get a HUGE box of organic produce at a very reasonable price. Here's a link to Kristina's site: www.rawfullyorganic.com. Not all the produce through this co-op is local but it is all organic and super tasty. If you're in the Houston area, check it out! Another local resource for local raw dairy products (cow and goat) and grass fed meat is http://gramenfarm.com/. My kids and I visited and enjoyed playing with the goats, chickens, and cows and then leaving with a big old bag of goodies. We haven't purchased meat yet from them - we're running our freezer low first. Also, I found a great local source for honey and pastured eggs. If you're interested and you're in the Houston area, e-mail me directly (moulenbelt@consolidated.net) and I'll pass the number along if the owner is OK with that. I'll post more as I find more. For now, I'm pretty excited about the steps we're taking to feed our family more responsibly.

Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment