Search This Blog

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Perfect Pancakes - at last!!

So, I will admit, I'd given up on actually making good pancakes without a mix. And, in my mind, mixes are too expensive so I couldn't go there. In an example of how my mind twists, however, I would buy Van's frozen gluten free waffles at $2.50 for a box of 6...yeah, logic isn't my strength.. So, anyway, I finally figured out how to make real, actual, good pan cooked pancakes! And, better yet, the recipe is CHEAP! Enjoy!

1 cup rice flour (I used white - will try brown when I get some more)
3 Tbsp. tapioca flour or arrowroot powder
1/3 cup potato starch
1 packet stevia
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
2 eggs
3 tbsp. canola oil
2 cups non-dairy milk
1 Tbsp. lemon juice

Mix the milk and the lemon juice together - this creates a buttermilk substitute. Mix the rest of the stuff and pour in milk. Mix until the lumps are as gone as they can get. Heat a large, well oiled skillet or griddle over medium heat. It's ready when water dances on it :) Spoon or pour batter onto the pan and cook on one side until bubbles form throughout the pancake. Flip and continue to cook until golden brown on the bottom. Repeat and repeat...and repeat...until the batter is gone.

I let these cool on a rack and freeze them for later. To reheat, just pop them in the toaster oven for 4-5 minutes (or until heated through) and serve with your favorite toppings. I made at least a double batch of these because my boys can suck down massive quantities of pancakes.

Happy eating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment