Search This Blog

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Slow Cooker Lentil and Ham Soup

It's a rainy day and the weather is cooling....and I have a pantry/fridge full of stuff that would make great soup. Remember that stock I made yesterday? Well, it's a great day to use it! This recipe mainly came from allrecipes.com. I find a lot of great recipes on that site for my crock pot and often modify the ones that don't fit my diet with great success.

4 cups stock
1 cup water
1 cup tomato sauce
1 cup dried lentils
1 cup chopped celery (I was out - used the last of my celery in the stock :)
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 cups cooked diced ham
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. dried tarragon (recipe called for basil but I'm out so I substituted)
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste

Throw it all together and slow cook on high for 4-5 hours. I plan to serve this over rice to disguise it a casserole for my soup hater in the family. Oh, and I have one with the stomach virus today so it might be just rice for him today anyway. We'll see, that child loves his soup so he just might rally :)

No comments:

Post a Comment