Search This Blog

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Stock on the Cheap

Buying organic chicken broth has been a big expense in our budget. It's the only stuff that I can guarantee is gluten free and has ingredients I can pronounce so that's what I buy. Until tonight. I made my own vegetable stock with some wilting stuff in my produce drawer that I might have otherwise thrown out. I'll freeze it and use it as my new base for soups and casseroles. Yay!

Homemade Vegetable Stock

1 large onion - peeled and cut into quarters
1 large bag of baby carrots that were slimy when I got them (I HATE that!)
1/2 bunch of organic celery, 1/2 wilted
*any other vegetables that are in questionable shape in your crisper
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. salt (OK, I used more because I'm not a low sodium kind of girl)
12 cups of water

Throw it all in the crock pot and cook on high for 4-5 hours. Strain and store in 2 cup measurements for easy use. Congratulate yourself for using all those vegetables that you bought in good faith but didn't actually eat in time.

Take THAT bill!

No comments:

Post a Comment