Search This Blog

Thursday, September 23, 2010

More from Lambert

My younger son, Maxwell, is having some difficulty at school. He's always been a very stubborn, silly, forgetful, and easily distracted kid. So, add Kindergarten to the mix and he's really struggling. He had to go to the office today, discipline referral, the whole deal. Last year, when Lambert was in Kindergarten, he had a very hard time. He went to a very large public school and was in general ed all day and it just didn't work. It was a very negative experience for him and he really struggled with behavior. This year, however, is a very different story. He is kicking butt and taking names in first grade at his new school and at home. Basically, with all of his diet and medicine, he is almost always without symptoms. And, he's successful in general ed in a small charter school - they both go to West Houston Charter. Anyway, after today's Maxwell escapades, Lambert and I got to talking about things. I had to tell him that Maxwell will be losing a lot of privileges until he gets his behavior together and that it might upset him to hear him cry. Lambert can't stand to hear his brother cry - it's loud, grating, and upsetting for all of us, especially big brother, who takes his role as guide and protector seriously. Needless to say, Lambert had some interesting insights and questions. The first thing he said was "Do you think that because I have Autism, Maxwell got it?" Really? Poor guy, I had to explain that it's definitely NOT contagious...hereditary, maybe but NOT contagious :) The second thing he had to say is "Well, maybe he has Autism and now I don't!" Mmmmm...maybe, maybe not... So, we got to talking about how Maxwell might have to start taking vitamins like he does and Lambert said "I think my diet and vitamins are like the army that is destroying my Autism. I think the Autism has about three cannons left, though." Seriously, I'm just floored by this child...who thinks those things? Is he actually using abstract imagery? Wow! Anyway, he was talking about how Kindergarten was hard for him and he said that last year, "everyone called him names and told him he was a bad boy". This year, he said "nobody tells me anything bad, they want to be my friends". What a change. I was so torn up last year, knowing how miserable he was and praying for an answer and I know God was able to make some things move into place. Well, Maxwell doesn't have the excuse of a big school and too much stimulation and all that. But, I took Max to the doctor yesterday and we got a ton of tests run so if there's anything medical causing his issues, we'll get it figured out. And, we know that diet and supplements work so we have a plan. Thank God we have such an articulate expert in our Lambert to guide little Max...maybe he'll even stay out of the office for a week...well, one can dream ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment