Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Wrong Wall

So, my youngest son, Maxwell was suspended from school yesterday. He's 5, adorable, hilarious, messy, aggravating, and charming. No, he didn't bring a weapon to school, he didn't make a terroristic threat, he didn't physically harm anyone...he wrote on the desk...a line. When he was confronted, he lied and said he didn't do it. Somehow, things escalated from there and he had to be carried by two people out of his classroom and physically restrained for 7 minutes, with an additional 40 minutes needed until he was calm. Seriously?? Since he's started school (MDO at age 15 months), we've heard the words "brilliant", "dramatic", "handful", "stubborn", "willful", "adorable" used to describe him. He loves music, he loves to dance, his brain goes a mile a minute and he forgets what he's supposed to do in the middle of a one step directive. Because he's not the one with Autism, we always assumed was fine. And, though he's perfect, it's becoming increasingly clear to us that he is not, in fact, fine. He's been having troubles all through preschool, he's been the lovable nuisance, the brilliant pain in the butt kid but, I never thought he was the "oh no, please don't put that kid in my class" kid. All this time, I was focused on Lambert's educational needs, always assuming Maxwell would be fine anywhere we put him. The handwriting was on the wall...I was just looking at the wrong wall. So, now it's time to shift my focus, have Maxwell evaluated, provide the nutritional supports, behavior supports, etc. that we have been giving to Lambert. I don't know what is causing his problems but we'll work it out together. I just hope it's an easier road because my husband and I are tired...We'll never give up but a nap sure would be nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment