Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Voice of Autism?

Three years ago, my oldest son would babble quotes from Thomas the Tank Engine movies, repeat anything anyone said, and only sometimes answer yes and no questions. His eyes were glassy, he was difficult to soothe, he had to touch everything, break most of what he touched, and was constantly frustrated...and, honestly frustrating. My husband and I heard the word Autism associated with our son February 13, 2007. There are not adequate words for those days and the months, frankly years, that followed. And there are not adequate words for the gratitude I feel today. Today, my son told me that he wanted to save his money to buy his little brother the $100 castle he wants. Today, my son asked me how my day was. Today, my son accompanied me on my run and regaled me with stories about his day at school, including conversations with friends. Today, my son looked me straight in the eye and told me he loved me. Today, I know he is better than fine, he is perfect. He will have a fullness of life that I didn't know he could have almost four years ago. I don't know why God chose to bless my family with this gift, this gift of possibility. I can only fall to my knees and say Thank You. Thank you so much for blessing my son, for making him whole, for guiding us to the right treatment - and for the knowledge that it is treatment, not cure. Thank you for all the angels in our lives that have made this success possible. There are not words, my heart is full.

1 comment: